Henrys Last Days

Henrys Last Days
Henry Hudsons Last Days With His Son In His Hands

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

My Fourth Voyage



In 1610, I had decided to try to find the Northwest passage to Asia. I must admit I was a bad leader and from the beginning there were many fights among the crew that later ended in the crews mutiny. By June, I had finally discovered a strait and that led to a large body of water. I had thought that I was close to Asia and then went south. In reality though, I had passed through what is now called Hudson Strait and gone into Hudson Bay. I was unusually fearful in his decisions in the bay; and I headed south along the east shore of the bay instead of heading due west across it. By the time T had determined that this, too, was a false lead, winter had arrived and froze in the ship. Although the Northwest Passage did not exist, my explorations provided the foundation for English claims to Canada and the Dutch settlement of New Netherland, which eventually became New York.

No comments: